Tuesday, July 22, 2014


Why in the World Would you do THAT?

People ask me that all the time.  My response? "why not?"  They tell me there are a ka-zillion handbag makers already.  They also told me, when I was running my upholstery business, that you could buy a sofa or chair a lot cheaper than it cost to reupholster one. That didn't stop me either.  As a matter of fact, it didn't stop me for 37 years, until I decided to retire and do something different.

Making handbags, totes and various other similar items came as natural to me as my previous occupation, just in a smaller way.  The same leathers and materials are used, same sewing machines and techniques.  So, why wouldn't I make handbags?

How many times have you bought a new bag, used it for a few days, and realized you've compromised on what you were hoping for?  The lining gets in the way when you're looking for something in the bottom.  The zipper pulls get stuck or the pocket seams tear out.  The leather turns out to be inferior or worse, fake!!  The list goes on and on.  

I'll tell you what you will get in a bag from BeautifulBagsEtc, but first, let me tell you what you won't get:
1. Excessive "decorative", nonfunctioning hardware to weigh down your arm or shoulder. 
2. Sloppy, oversized, dark and flimsy lining that makes it impossible to find your items.  
3. Complicated closures that you'll never use.
4.  Unsupported bottoms that make everything pool together in a pile.

What makes BeautifulBagsEtc handbags any different?  I use a handbag, so the functionality of it is my top priority when I'm designing.  Let's start with the handles and straps.  Seldom do I make skinny straps that cut into your shoulder or arm. Those trendy rope-style handles are made with hard plastic tubes inside that dry out, snap and cause a weak point.  Like my handbags, my straps are quality leather, folded together to the center and stitched which gives the strap both flexibility and durability. (A few of my earlier bags, however, do sport a companion or coordinating upholstery grade fabric strap.)

Some of the best features of BBE handbags are the interiors.  All of my bags have a lighter colored lining fabric.  It makes a world of difference in the ability to see what's inside!! The lighter colors reflect the, perhaps limited amount, of light entering the interior whereas a dark lining will absorb light, which makes it more difficult to find what you're looking for.

Pockets, pockets, pockets,,,,women always tell me that's what matters to them.  Why?  Because we need easy ways to be organized.  All of my handbags and totes have a variety of pockets, slip pockets, zip pockets and flip pockets.  Some bags even have center divider pockets.  Inside and outside, we need pockets!  Not just any pockets will do for BBE bags.  They are always lined and reinforced with heavy duty bonded interfacing, lending body and durability.

Another great feature of BBE handbags is my exclusive design "no-sag" internal base which maintains the
shape of the bag and connects the bottom of the outer bag to the bottom of the lining, eliminating sagging, shifting of lining and pooling of contents.

Like most women, I also want my purse to work with my attire.  That is part of the functionality, in my opinion.  Color, shape, size and style, be it hobo, tote, satchel, or crossbody - there is no right or wrong.  It's just a matter of personal preference.  BBE offers a variety of styles in unique, one of a kind bags, all designed and created with custom quality craftsmanship by me and ONLY me.


I chose to name my business BeautifulBagsEtc because each time someone saw one of my bags they would exclaim, "that is a beautiful bag!"  Why, of course it is!  Go see for yourself at BeautifulBagsEtc

No comments:

Post a Comment